Content

Biographical and bibliographical information on the book trades
Home - key to pages | References and abbreviations | Data format | About this website | Freshest advices | Contact

16 January 2007

Lapthorne 1697

Exeter Working Papers in British Book Trade History; 11
Book trade references in the Lapthorne-Coffin correspondence 1683-1697
edited by Michael Treadwell and Ian Maxted.
Letters, 1697
[Last letter of 1696]
[Sat., 2 January 1697]
...Mr Browne tells mee yt Sr.H.Chancys Survey of Hartfordshire Hartfordsh [C22] will now come out, & hee is to bee one of the undertakers, & they are going about to get subscriptions without depossiting monys & they are printing proposalls & in my next I intend to send you one Mr Brown[BRO] sayth yt there were propositions made for ye printing of Lightfoots third vollum [L39] [but never saw any booke come forth [gap] week I intend to inquire of ye undertakers in Pauls churchyard about it & inform yu what they say, The Lords will sit...[13 lines in printed version]...

[Sat., 9 January 1697]
...[11 lines in printed version]...I have not yey ye proposalls for Chansys Survey of Hartfordshire [C22] but intend to send it in my next Inclosed are ye Gazets I am...

[Sat., 16 January 1697]
I have inclosed according to my promiss sent you a Specimen of Chansys Survey of Hertfordshire [C22] but could wish it had not been so cumbersome in regard of postage...[30 lines in printed version]..

[Sat., 23 January 1697]
...[20 lines in printed version]...

[Sat., 30 January 1697]
...[23 lines in printed version, including "[Dr White the late Bishop of Peterborough] delivered his speech to the Sheriffs [F20] which is since printed and here inclosed"]...

[undated, but endorsed 6 February 1697]
...I received yours last night and this day made Inquiry after so the Bookes menconed therein. As to the King of Denmarks Musaeum [K15] upon Inquiry I was informed yt a few of them about 20 are brought over & Smyth [SMI] & Walford [WAL] nor Swall [SWA]wch are ye great dealers in yt sort of learning had none of them, but Mr Bennett [BEN] at the Halfe Moone had one, his man shewed it mee. its a thin fol. wth many fine Scluptures but hee sayd his master would not abate anything of 25s. The 4th vol. of Dr Th. Goodwins works [G45] are coming out but I canot heare they are. ab[gap] ye other vol. of Dr. Lightfoot [L39] tho I inquired. I inquired also after Puffendorfs introduction [P66] but could not bee informed whether out or not but of that you shall have fuller satisfacon in my next. The Great mony Act [S58] is come out and inclosed I send you the Abstract agt the Act comes to prepare you I have lost...[21 lines in printed version]...

[Sat., 13 February 1697]
Sr
I have made further Inquiry & canot heare yt Dr Goodwin's 3d vol. [G45] is yet out, nor Puffendorfs Introduction, [P66] but its sayd ye last wilbe out within a few days, as to Dr Lightfoots 3d vol. [L39] ye undertakers have quite throwne it aside for yt it seems the manuscript thereof conteyns much of his other works wch they perceived not wn they printed ye proposals &c. The Comission is sealed...[15 lines in printed version]...

[right margins start to be very faded about 20 Feb]

[Sat., 20 February 1697]
...I have been in pauls churchyard at Mr Bennetts [BEN] shop at ye Halfe moone who only hath these books & as I take it sayth hath but 3 more left, hee would not abate mee one penny of 25s & hopes to make more of ye rest so yt I have bought one for you, You mistook my letter for it was Mr Bennett not Brown [BRO] is therein menconed also I will take care to answer ye other concerns...
[8 lines in printed version, but could be before my extract]...

[Sat., 27 February 1697]
Sr
You will perceive by my Letter you last recd yt ye King of Denmarks Musaeum [K15] was bought before yor last letter came to my hands, & I rather hastened it because I was apt to think they would bee all bought up, but if you have no mynde to it, let mee know yor mynde & I will endeavor to put it off; I have been at ye Bookeseller yt prints ye Mercurys [M30] & his man sayth his master sells them bound for 7s a vol & never under but I shall speake wth his master & hope to get them cheaper I doe not heare yt any of the other books are yet out. All our chatt...[9 lines in printed version]...

[Sat., 6 March 1697]
Sr
I am sorry yt I bought ye King of Denmarks Musaeum [K15] before I recd yor Letter to prohibit it but if I can meet wth one to take it off at ye price I will endeavoor it, I have one in my thoughts yt may take it Wn ye other books come out I will give you notice. Wee have...[unknown amount then 11 lines in printed version]...

[Sun., 14 March 1697]
...26 lines in printed version]...

[Sat., 20 March 1697]
...Dr. Goodwins last volum [G45] is now out but I am informed by Mr. Brown [BRO] who is one of the undertakers for Chancyes Survey of Hartfordshire [C22] that they will not begin to print it till they have subscribers enough to encourage them to doe it & asked mee if I would subscribe for you. I told him I had no orders, but would write to you this post. no mony is to bee paid down...[18 lines in printed version]...

[Sat., 27 March 1697]
Sr
I recd yor last & condole ye death of yor virtuous Lady daughter...[unknown amount]...I shall take care to send the bookes you write for, But I am apt to think you are mistaken in yor choyce of Crouches bookes [C58] for they are generally but trifles & not much regarded by the skilfull in learning being collections jumbled togeather and exposed to make a present penny, & fit only for the purchass of ordinary people but however unless you contradict your order they shalbe sent. This weeke...[7 lines in printed version]...

[Sat., 3 April 1697]
Sr
I recd yor last letter in wch you write for Dr Goodwins last [gap] [G45] & for other books - the wch I intend to send wth those written for in another letter, by the carier this day sevenight I have subscribed for Chancys Survey of Hartfordshire [C22] according [to] yor order ye King...[unknown amount and 13 lines in printed version]...

[Sat., 10 April 1697]
...{apologies for not sending because of holiday and his own occasions, then 9 lines in printed version]...

[Sat., 17 April 1697]
...I went forth to Mr Prideaux his house & hee not being at home I imparted so much of yor letter as concred ym so his Lady she told me yt yt booke [P60] is not yet come to their hands but will speedily & yt they shalbe sure to have it so yt I intend to call there some other tyme...[unknown amount]...As to ye King of Denmarks Musaeum [K15] My Lord Keeper hath yt for his Library wch I first bought, you seeming to decline ye having it. And his Lds having [gap] tyme to accept of a booke of my recomending & this coming to his view he liked it & kept, Now because hee is a great Judge of learning & bookes & there being but 2 left of these bookes (20 only brought over) I thought yt wn you should heare yt his Lp had yors yt you might wish for one wn it could bee had & therefore have this day bought another at ye same price & put it into ye box so yt now there is but one left & I suppose who ever buys it will pay sawce for it, I hope it wilbe an ornamt to yor Library I shall send yor account in my next, Yisterday ye King
...[14 lines in printed version]...
[PS] Sr ye Ks Speech [W60] & Acts [S54] passed are in ye inclosed pr: pap

[Sat., 24 April 1697]
...most of the litle bookes [C58] were [purposely bound for] you in calves leather & indeed leather wth us is very deare [gap] reason yt bookes as well as everything else is risen The King...[9 lines in printed version]...
24 Aprill 1697 (Inclosed is yor account)

[the enclosed account is on a slip of paper, as follows]

Richard Coffin Esqr his account to this present 24th
of Aprill 1697 All other accounts being discharged
R:Lapthorne
April ye 17th 1697
Mr Browns [BRO]
bill
+ Bp Williams 12 sermons GB [W62] _____________0 7 6
Goodwins Last vol: GB [G45] __________________1 2 0
+ Mercurys for ye year 95 GB [M30] _____________0 7 6
+ Echards discript of Ireland [E05] ____________0 2 0
+ Condemnat: of dupin [H30] ____________________0 0 6
+ Gentlemans new Jocky [L03] ___________________0 1 4
+ Present State of Persia [S08] ________________0 2 6
+ Laws of England abt seals [L15] ______________0 1 0
+ Remarks on London [R25] ______________________0 1 4
+ Admirable Curiosities [C60] __________________0 1 4
+ View of Guinea [C70] _________________________0 1 4
+ Kingdom of darkness [C66] ____________________0 1 4
+ Surprising miracles [C68] ____________________0 1 4
+ Wonderfull Prodogies [C72] ___________________0 1 4
+ Puffendorfs Introduction GB [P66] ____________0 6 6
+ Term Cattologue [T20] ________________________0 0 2
+ Edwards Socinianisca unmaskt [E25] ___________ 2 0
+ Brays Essay [B54] ____________________________0 0 6
-----------
3 -1 -6
To Mr Bennet for ye King of 1 5 0
+ Denmarks Musaeum [K15] _________
For a perriwigg ______________________1 15 0
For Lady days quarter of Gazetts [L52] _____0 2 0
+ 3 Sessions paps [L58] ______________________0 0 6
Abstract of a mony Act [S60] _______________0 0 2
News letter [N30] __________________________0 0 1
Box __________________________________0 1 0
Carriage to ye carier ________________0 0 6
-----------
2 4 3
Sum tot. 5li-5s-9d

[+ = all written in another ink, presumably by Coffin]

[Sat., 1 May 1697]
...[8 lines in printed version]...There is another booke out of Doctor Bury's, Rector of Exeter Colledge Oxford, the title Latitudinarius Orthodoxus. [B80] some say it borders upon socinism. inclosed...


[Sat., 8 May 1697]
...I shall in my next informe you as to yor queries about ye bookes...[12 lines in printed version]...

[Sat., 15 May 1697]
Sr
I have recd from Mr Prideaux two bookes [P60] one for yor selfe & another for Madam Bickford, wch shalbe sent when you give yor comands The verdict...[15 lines in printed version]...Mr Brown sayth yt hee hopes Chancyes Survey of Hartfordshire [C22] wilbe out by Michas Terme & as I take it hee told mee yt ye remaynder of Doctor Goodwyns works [G45] would bee printed I am...
[PS] I have a son not yet compleat 16 is going for China

[Sat., 22 May 1697]
...[4 lines in printed version]...The Grand Jury for Middlesex at the end of the last Terme presented the printing of dangerous and ill bookes lately published and such like and desired that the bookes might bee censured and the Authors punished...[5 lines in printed version]...

[Sat., 29 May 1697]
...[20 lines in printed version]...

[Fri., 4 June 1697]
...[20 lines in printed version]...

[Sat., 12 June 1697]
Sr
I recd yours yisterday wyh direccons for some bookes wch I accordingly intend to buy & send togeather wth Mr Prideaux his two bookes [P58] wch I have had some tyme in my custody to witt one for your selfe & another for Maddam Bickford The Gazetts...[9 lines in printed version]...

[Sat., 19 June 1697]
Sr
I have sent all ye bookes save Dr Conants ye 2d volum [C44] being not yet out but Mr Chiswell [CHI] says it will come out in a few days I have (wthout comission) sent an oct of 3s price wch I [saw?] iust as I was bringing home ye books being an Essay on Projects [D25] Mr Browne [BRO] told mee the Earle of Pembrooke had one of him a litle before hee tooke shipping I read a litle in it before I bought it & it promisses to bee usefull for yor Library I had it 6d less yn ye E gave for his, Wee have no News stirring...[14 lines in printed version]...

[Sat., 26 June 1697]
...there is one booke is extravigantly deare, & by reason thereof I went to severall shops my selfe to get it for indeed Mr Browne [BRO] told mee he was ashamed to send it by reason of the excess of ye price, but I told him I thought you would bee angry if it were not sent & Mr Brown protests hee getts but a groat by it, ye booke is ingrossed by Martlock - & hee puts his own price on it by reason it is so much bought up - The Sherriffs...[unknown amount and 20 lines in printed version]...

[PS]
Mr Browns [BRO] bill ________________2 2 4
Middsumer qtr Gazetts [L52] _________0 2 0
2 Sessions paps [L58] ________________0 0 4
box ___________________________0 0 8
porter & cord _________________0 0 6
----------
2 5 10
[actually 2 4 2]
______ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ ______
[Browne's bill tipped in with letter of 26 June 1697]

1697
June 19th To Mr. Lapthorn
Counsell of Trent Examan [S66] _____________0 2 6
Stillingfleets Xts Sufferings [S64] ________0 5 6
Compt Horsman Fol: [S40] ___________________1 0 0
Pains 3 Sermons [P20, P21, P22] ______________________0 1 6
Nichols Conferrance Compt [N40] ____________0 6 0
Memoirs of China [L21] _____________________0 6 0
Easter Term Cattologue [T20] _______________0 0 2
1 Essay on Projects [D25] __________________0 2 6
-----------
2 4 2

[Sat., 3 July 1697]
...[24 lines in printed version]...

[Sat., 10 July 1697]
...thanks as likewise for yr care in finding out ye omission of 1s 8d & giving mee notice of it...they tell mee yt they are going on in the printing of Chancys Survey of Hartfordshire [C22] wch wn extant shalbe sent, as also Dr. Conants 2 vol. [C44] Wee have...[12 lines in printed version]...[sorry to hear news of Coffin's sick daughter]...[order of these 3 uncertain except 1 before 3]

[Sat., 17 July 1697]
[20 lines in printed version]
[Sat., 24 July 1697]
[14 lines in printed version]

[Sat., 31 July 1697]
...[13 lines in printed version]...from the Camp - On Thursday last I caried my [gap] son about 16 yeares old aboard ye Shipp calle [gap] lying at anchor below Graves End bound for Chi [gap] had a mynd to goe god bless him ye voyage is ver [gap] Inclosed are ye Gazetts I am... ult July 1697

[Sat., 7 August 1697]
As formerly I wrote of the discourse of peace so its more talked of now than ever and it is beleived by most that it is privatly concluded though not yet published. [21 lines in printed version. The final letter, offering no indication at all of why the series stops here.]

This page last updated 14 Jan 2007
© Michael Treadwell, Ian Maxted, 2001.