Content

Biographical and bibliographical information on the book trades
Home - key to pages | References and abbreviations | Data format | About this website | Freshest advices | Contact

16 January 2007

Lapthorne 1683

Exeter Working Papers in British Book Trade History; 11
Book trade references in the Lapthorne-Coffin correspondence 1683-1697
edited by Michael Treadwell and Ian Maxted.
Letters, 1683 and 1685
[Letters not by Lapthorne 1682 & 1683]

20 June 1683
[Right margin badly damaged]
Sr
Altho I was abroad yisterday yet I have been very [weak ?]
(ap &) my feaver continues so yt if I have str[ength I ?]
have thoughts of going somewhere out of town ye [next ?]
weeke for a litle ayre & doe intend to send your book away
by the Exeter Wagan on Munday next & on [Tuesday ?]
god willing intend to send a letter I need not [send a ?]
Catalogue [C16] my bill is one - I was with Mr Litlebury [LIT]
yisterday & hee hath sold his Buchartas in fol [B44] &
also Weavers Monuments [W10] - but Mr Scot [SCO] hath one not
so good as Mr Litleburys & Mr Bateman [BAT] another but
will not take under 30s for either - The Cittizens went
yisterday with [sic] peticion to Windsor but ye Kings ansor
was they might either keepe their old or have an
new. but it should be his prerogative to choose sherriffs
& mayor &c. The Lord Cheef Justice Saunders dyd
this morning & its reported yt Judge Raymond lys
dying - its a great storme at this tym of Thunder
lightning & great rayn I thank you for y[our ?]
discover of an apporition If I gral[ ? ]
Sr ye shall god willing know it in
being further serviceble to you I am
Tuesday 20 Juni 1683 yrs faithfully
Ri Lapthorne

The further acc Antient History }0 - 0 - 6Sr Wm Petts
of ye Septuagint little oct [A25] }mettalls & c [P28] - 0 - 2 - 6
Croks reports [C56] & History of Cealon [K65] - 2. 16 0gilt Knox of
Knox History of Scotland [K60] & Broughtons }1l - 10 - 0Scotld & Brought0 2 6
works [B64] }
books gilt Doct Taylor exemplor [S14] [T05]}0 - 3 - 0
Scamozzi -0 3 6
Hist Cealon & Herbds H.8 [H45] - - }& Carl. Embasys [M50] 0 3 [0]
Case of London Charter [C12] & acct of} -0 - 0 - 7 6 -[9 7]
pass Judgmt [A10] }_______
Doc. Hamond & Bp Brownrigs1 . 2 . 0my last
Sermons [B66] - both27 [11 10]
_______
pray turn oversum tot 34 [1 5]

[left margin badly damaged]

in my hands of the former acct due }£ s d
Coffin }4 19 9
allowed mee for my paines - - - 2 0 0
remaynes due to Mr Coffin - -2 19 9
13 March by Bill10 0 0
________
12 . 19 . 9d
£ s d
34 - 1. 5
12 19. 9.
_______
21 1 8
_______
34 1 5

So rest due to mee £ s d
21 1 8
[ ] am glad I have run through this affaire
[ ] them of I have don of this
[ ] 8 days wt errors you finde
[ ] them I have no body to help
[ ] more[?] & therefore if there should be any mistakes
ascribe them to my weaknes

There will bee some other litle sums for
gilt more books & boxes & c. wch I
intend to send down God willing in my
next letter

27 June 1683
[right margin rotted away]
Sr
I have had & yet lye under a very
of sicknes wch indeed hath much waste [d me?]
at this tyme - under ye care of Doctor
one of ye Ks phisicons I blesse god I [have ?]
hopes yt I shall recover outlive
however I submitt my will to ye w [ill of God?]
Sr All your bookes were sent away yesterday [by the]
Exeter wagan they wilbe at Exeter thursd [ay]
sevenight. as for [?] inclosed note ye wch
hasten yu sending them was - I was doubt [ful how]
god might deale wth mee I might
before I might have strength to send
might take my life & in either [event I]
thought y[o]u might be exposed to
therefore satturday last tho in
with a great deale of tro[uble and]
wth the helpe of others (viz) Mr [Bateman and his]
man &c I got them to be boxed [and]
delivered them to ye Waggoner I also
Buckartius [B44] for you in fol - being
ye fol. were scarce & yt great
heveing bin sold at a great value an [?]
auction I have somewhere [?] likewise
bill compleat - & tho I am in a sick [condition ?]
yet you need not trouble your selfe t[o send ?]
ye muneys for I wish I could say
yt I wanted my monyes for afflic[tion]
come a come - a very considerable [part of]
my stock lying dead whout one for
incombe - so yt I am in no want of [money ?]
at this tyme Sr I hope you will re[ceive the]
books so well to ye content as you D[esire?]
[left margin rotted away]
[I have] taken as much care in the buying
[as it] was possible for any man to take
[ ] yu should give so much for carriage
[ ] myn I wuld have ventured them
[ ]you will meet wth many of them
[ ] sheepes covers wch I could not prevent
[from] being indifferent was unwilling to
[take] them off & put on new Sr I write
[wit]h weakness & therefore pray excuse wt is
I recd yrs by last post & hope after
I shalbe able to answer ye letter
[from ?] you as formerly - but I must beg
[for] tyme - It seems here hath
[been a] discovery of a protestant plott as appears
[ ]. - but I can give but little accompt
[ ] my sicknes I am Sr
Yor faithfull servant
Ri. Lapthorne
27 juni 1683

& Doc Haymonds Sermons [H20] } - - 0 - 3 . 6
[? Pi] tts 3 Embassys - gilt [M50] }
K Munarchy asserted > }0 - 0 - 6
[Confe]rence before Ld Protectr [W24]
Litlebury [L45] }
[Work]s in fol. of Mr Bateman [BAT] - 1 - 8 - 0
Little Brittaine - - 0 - 0 - 3
[? Paid] to the bookbindr - -0 - 0 - 3
[ ] & naills - 0 - 6 - 0
[To the W] aggoner for his care &c -0 1 0
[To Ba] temans man for his pains in }0 - 2 0
[? boxing th] em up wch took up much tym }
[ ] - - 0 0 9
them & carryng them to} -0 2 0
[ ] - - }________
2 4 3
tot 23 . 5 . 1121 1 8
London May ye 21 [1685]
Sr
The house of Commons m[et]
att Nine & satt till five in [the evening]
all which tyme they were sw[earing in]
Members & giveing them [? They]
have suspended Mr Topham [& put]
in his plase one Serjan[t ...?]
yt same in to the plase of [him who]
let the Lord Gray escap[e. Titus]
Oates was yesterday wipt [from ? ]
to Newgate, some people sa[y he was]
favored by the hangman that [wipt him.]
A petition was this d[ay brought to the]
Kings bench barr by a [woman]
Oates Sister one his behalfe [that the]
Wiping tomorrow may bee [remitted]
but received for answere yt [he deserved]
to be hanged & soe should [undergo the]
sentence; One of those [present at]
ye Pillory yt Oates sto[od in was this]
day brought to the [Kings Bench ?]
but upon his humble subm[ission]
utterly deni-ing ye fault [was at]
last discharged.
The Commons are all swo[rn at]
eleaven this fronone Ad[journed]
till tomorrow

[transcript, presumably of verso which is stuck down]
ye 25th last fryday a messenger for Sr
Sr Walter Young & [ ... ] of Sywell, the 2 latter
[c] arryed away yesterday morning
[ ] being very ill could
[at side] Seamors house at Bery robed of all his wrightings and silver all
that was in his closet & tore the [ ... ] in peeces

[Letters not by Lapthorne 1682 & 1683, Lapthorne letters 1687]

This page last updated 10 Mar 2002
© Michael Treadwell, Ian Maxted, 2001.